24 April 2010

Nothing Much Else Happened: April 24, 1978

Today at school, I could hardly keep my mind on what I was doing because I was thinking about my commercial. When we went to the audition, there was a crowd of people waiting for the same commercial but for a different segment. I was the only child. When we finally got in, the director gave us a situation, and we are supposed to Ad-Lib it. The situation was: I was a grandson and Dad was my grandfather. I hadn't seen him in a long time. We were supposed to have friendly greetings and all that grandfather-to-grandson stuff. Dad thinks they didn't like us, but I think they did.

***

Dad was right: we never heard back from anyone. This came about due to the fact that Dad's professional pictures included one of me with him, posing as a grandson as he taught me how to fish off a bridge. The talent folks were looking at Dad for the grandfather part in the commercial, saw me, and asked if they could get me in as well.

Dad was 61 when I was born, so we were mistaken for grandfather and grandson quite often.

All punctuation and spelling has been retained precisely as I wrote it 32 years ago at age 12.

What's this all about? This is what it's all about.

To view the next day click: April 25, 1978

No comments: