28 April 2010

Nothing Much Else Happened: April 28, 1978

Today the Red Sox started a 2-game series with the Orioles. I started for the Red Sox on the mound, and pitched 3 innings allowing only 2 runs. Josh Convy, our old teammate (who was drafted to another team) started for them. We tied them through 3, 3 to 3, and then in the 4th, we got 3 nice runs to make it 6-3. Unfortuneately, we brought in another pitcher and we got zonked. They came up with 5 runs and won 8-6. I had 1 hit in 3 at-bats.

***

Josh Convy was (is?) the son of the late Bert Convy, perennial gameshow host of the 1970s and 1980s.

All punctuation and spelling has been retained precisely as I wrote it 32 years ago at age 12.

What's this all about? This is what it's all about.

To view the next day click: April 29, 1978

5 comments:

Mary A Brown said...

Ah, Bert Convy. Now that brought up so many memories for me - those days of staying home sick from school and watching games shows. Kids with their TiVos will never understand the illicit thrill of watching daytime TV while poor classmates are struggling over math problems! Is it wrong for me to feel that I'm now only a few degrees of separation from Bert and his great 70s hair?!

Zippy994 said...

Marck - I can't believe it. I stumbled on this page by accident. Took me back, what, 32 years?! I remember so much about that time but of course the details are quite fuzzy. I joined the Red Sox because someone broke a leg (or was it an arm?) just prior to the season starting and I was first on the waiting list. I remember Dean Jackson & David Shroeder from that team but the rest of the names I'd have look up. I too kept records of my baseball stats back then. Only I just jotted-down the numbers and kept a running tally of my ERA, batting average, etc. Still have all the stats and schedules in storage somewhere. Anyway, the next year I had to rejoin the draft and wound up on another top team, The Orioles, like you mentioned. What a trip. I still live in SoCal but never make it out to the Palisades anymore. Pass through maybe once a year down Sunset Blvd. BTW, next month will be the 20th anniversary of my dad's death. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. Hope all is well with you, Marck. Take care. Josh Convy

Zippy994 said...

Check that: It'll have been 19 years. :(

Marck Bailey said...

I just discovered this! Josh! Unbelievable. What were you doing -- googling yourself? *wink*

Thanks SO MUCH for writing, Josh! What a trip to find you on my blog.

Marck Bailey said...

AND, if you see this, Josh, for God's sake, write me! It's not hard to find an email for me ... if you google me, you'll find ways to contact me.