03 November 2010

Nothing Much Else Happened: November 3, 1978

Today I thought you might like to know that: tomorrow is going to be a highlight day. Today was our last chance to practice for the annual drama festival, which will be tomorrow. I am entering in the individual mime contest, and I feel I have a good chance to at least get to the finals. Some of our other categories look good, too, so Mrs. Mullin, the drama teacher says. But, I only like the individual serious and the group humorous. By the way, did you get the joke back on the 31st? Empty-hot dog day is a hollow-weenie!

***

Yes. Well. Some would say I had a lot to learn about humor at 13. Others would say I haven't learned all that much.

All punctuation and spelling has been retained precisely as I wrote it 32 years ago at age 13.

What's this all about? This is what it's all about.

To view the next day click: November 4, 1978

Missed an entry? Index of all Nothing Much Else Happened entries

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Okay, something I've been wondering about for a while and have to ask... were you planning even back then to publish/otherwise share your diary? Now and then (e.g. now) I can't help feeling like you're addressing a future audience - or am I just reading waaayyyy too much into this?

Marck Bailey said...

I wouldn't say that it was necessarily a conscious thought that it would be published. I think rather that it was a narcissistic assumption that my writings someday would be of some interest to someone and that it would be read. I think I knew that my mom, at different points in her life, had kept diaries or travel journals, and I had wanted to read them ... and I believe that I was thinking that perhaps my own children might be interested someday in reading about my life as a t(w)een.

(For the record, they have expressed ZERO interest in this so far.)

Rachel said...

They will... just give them a little time.