03 October 2010

Nothing Much Else Happened: October 3, 1978

Today Mrs. Mullin asked me another one of her "little favors". Now she wants me to understudy for the lead part in the school play coming up, "The Land of the Dragon". And, of course, "Good old Mark" said yes. It's not that big of a part, but I am the "handsome" hero. I don't know anything about the part, but she doesn't have a script, yet. Well, it may be tough, but I'm going to try to pull it off. They've been working on this for 2 weeks, and I haven't even joined the cast yet!

***

I have virtually no memory of this. I had to Google "land of the dragon" to find out what this play was. Here was the description:

In this stylized Chinese play, a scheming aunt and her chancellor keep the lovely Princess Jade Pure prisoner in her own castle in order to steal the throne. Road Wanderer, a minstrel, passing through the country with his pet dragon, learns of her plight and rescues her, only to be rewarded with contempt. He soon comes to see Jade Pure as thoughtless and unkind and leaves her behind. Realizing her mistake and knowing she must soon marry soon in order to become Empress, Jade Pure tries to find him. She decrees that only someone with a pet dragon may court her. Jade Pure's Aunt has Road Wanderer imprisoned so she can steal his dragon. Still others create false dragons, all so they can win the throne. Will Jade Pure see through all this deception?

None of this helped me remember anything more about the play.

All punctuation and spelling has been retained precisely as I wrote it 32 years ago at age 13.

What's this all about? This is what it's all about.

To view the next day click: October 4, 1978

Missed an entry? Index of all Nothing Much Else Happened entries

2 comments:

Rachel said...

No photographic evidence by any chance??

Marck Bailey said...

What -- of me in this play? Nope. I can't even remember if I got to play the role I was understudying.