18 October 2010

Nothing Much Else Happened: October 18, 1978

Today, I woke up, threw on some clothes, and ran outside to see how the fire was doing — and it was all gone! I got my first look at the hill in daylight, and it was not a pretty sight. The frames of the few houses and the church were all that was left. We had no school today because Paul Revere is an evacuation center. I spent most of last night either up on our roof watering it down or in the tree next door watching the fire. The fire's not out yet, but the danger for us is gone.

***

That night watering the roof and watching the progress of the fire in the neighbor's tree (greatest climbing tree *ever*) is one of those indelible memories. Strange to be on your roof with your garden hose and look down the block and see someone on every roof doing the same. I was truly scared.

All punctuation and spelling has been retained precisely as I wrote it 32 years ago at age 13.

What's this all about? This is what it's all about.

To view the next day click: October 19, 1978

Missed an entry? Index of all Nothing Much Else Happened entries

No comments: