30 November 2009

Limping Home from NaBloPoMo

Well, at least I did better than last year.

First of all, hats off to the many friends of mine who successfully knocked off National Novel Writing Month 2009. Amanda, great job on your virgin voyage; and Jason, between work and pleasure, you somehow manage to fit more words into your day than anyone else I know. I don't know how you do it, but I bow at your feet.

As for me, my humble stab at National Blog Posting Month missed completion by just a few days. (Then again, many people who know me would tell you that I'm a few posts shy of a full blog.) Just as the Thanksgiving holiday at the end of November does in so many NaNoWriMoers, so too was I distracted by the feast and all the familial accoutrements surrounding it. Though to tell you the truth, I was really struggling at the end to come up with good post subjects. I suppose I could have free-wrote my way out of that corner, but for the most part the freewriting didn't seem to flow that well.

Looking closer at the NaBloPoMo site, I see now that they do it not just in November, but year-round. Don't worry, I'm not going to get any crazy ideas in my head. I have too many other writing projects in the work to think that I can keep posting that often. And as evidenced by some of the weaker posts from this past month, I don't want to be doing that anyway. I'd rather go back to the idea of quality over quantity.

And I'm hoping that the month of December will give me time to finishing the first draft of Son of A Saint ... which is going to take a lot of writing through some major blocks I have on certain plot points. It's frustrating to feel like I'm so close, yet so far away.

No comments: