09 November 2007

NaNoWriMo, Day 8: The Words Get Heavier, My Arms Get Tired

I'm trying not to worry too much about my word count dropping below the target for the first time. We are coming into a weekend here, and there's a chance I might be able to do some catch-up on Sunday at a café somewhere.

And it's not lost on me that today is the first day of Week 2, apparently widely known to be the most difficult week of NaNoWriMo. It's the week you learn to hate your novel, you're tempted to kill off characters, and you consider how nice it would be to just go to bed at 10 p.m. rather than stay up. (Actually, I never feel like going to bed at 10.)

My problem is that I'm stuck with my main character just about to head into this important, story-changing moment . . . and I'm resisting it. I'm scared to write it, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm scared to face up to something he's going to face?

I've got to just bear down and push ahead. Just keep putting one word in front of the other.

No comments: