07 November 2007

NaNoWrimo, Day 6: Into Five Figures!

Just broke the 10,000-word mark a few minutes ago.

Biggest surprise so far: How little the Internet has distracted me during my writing periods.

Second biggest surprise: How much life distractions have gotten in the way. For instance, that heating problem that we were having starting last night? That didn't get resolved until 3:30 the next afternoon. Such a stupid, niggling little problem that kept me from really finding my groove. Little things like this seem to crop up all the time. They're there every day, I'm sure, but during this month, it's all especially noticeable.

Piper has been asking about the book a lot. Driving her to school Monday morning, I gave her an idea of the plot in very broad brushstrokes, not allowing for too much specificity since my story involves a certain amount of dealing with the myth of St. Nicholas. She tells me she wants to help me with the story. She is, in ways she doesn't know, and probably won't until she's older and reads it . . . if she reads it.

Last night, she came in from ballet class and I was on the computer, pounding out a couple hundred words before dinner.

"Is that you book?" she asked, all excited.

"Yes."

"Can I see it?"

"Sure!" I said, and I turned the computer toward her. The change in her expression was not imperceptible. All there was to see was a lot of words on a white page.

"Oh," she monotoned. Translation: Your book is boring. And off she ran to taunt her little sister.

No comments: