25 November 2007

NaNoWriMo, Day 24: Up and Over 40,000

I'm grabbing for scenes now, looking for anything I know that I can write. For instance, tonight: A Thanksgiving dinner. I know, how easy, right? But one has to occur in this book, it just makes sense, so the only thing better than writing what you know is writing what you just experienced for the first time. So, some general moments of my Thanksgiving were worked into this chapter.

In this scene, Walt and Sherry are clearly now deep in the love sauce, which is more than what what they had worked out in the previous chapter. So I'm clearly going to need some prose in between that will bridge that gap. I fear more and more that the last week of writing during NaNoWriMo will be spent creating these stones to get me across the river — stones that will be too far apart to easily hop from one to the next. And so I will spend all of my first edit on this draft writing that bridge material. This baby could do some serious expanding in that phase.

I wish I could feel more joyous about breaking the 40,000 barrier, but it feels like I'm flailing with my fingers here.

And no, the time stamp on this entry is not incorrect; I really am that dumb! *grin*

No comments: