23 November 2007

NaNoWriMo, Day 22: Feasting, and Back On Track

What a fantastic Thanksgiving this was. Such an amazing feast of food, and it was so much fun to cook all of those dishes. "So many options!" one family member said. "That's what Marck's Thanksgivings are like," another replied. And that made me feel great. I'm sure it's more than needs to be done, but it's fun to try out these recipes and so hard for me to narrow them down. So . . . What the hell? It's once a year. Go for it. And we did. And we kicked ass.

Starting to find a little ass-kicking power on the writing thing again, too. I spent some time earlier in the evening jotting down events that need to happen in certain scenes, and when I sat down to seriously write tonight, I was able to get some words flowing again. Not a 4,000-word day by any means, but tonight I feel like I might be able to do that again. Sometime.

My focus now is on keeping the plot moving. Today is the first day of the last week of this event, and I'm keenly aware of how far I must still go to get anywhere near the end. I don't mind glossing over moments, as long as I leave enough bread crumbs to be able to get back to them later. It's all about my getting this first draft done.

I mentioned to someone tonight that I wasn't sure I could stand to still be working on this first draft into December. "Actually," I clarified, "I'm not sure Laura could stand it." And Laura, who was standing nearby, said, "Oh, I wouldn't mind at all." So maybe that was something like permission to keep writing past 11/30 to get that first draft done. That would kind of break with the spirit of NaNoWriMo, but in the end I would be happier that I managed to include at least a bit of everything that needed to happen in the story, with time to flesh things out in the coming months.

No comments: