17 November 2007

NaNoWriMo, Day 16: The Second Half Begins

I had to stop writing tonight when I woke up to discover that I had "typed" six lines of the letter "k." I had fallen asleep at the keyboard with my hands on the home keys, and my right middle finger had pressed just a little too hard.

As would be expected, I've come down a bit from yesterday's euphoria. To offset that let-down, a fun lunch with some writers today got the juices flowing in very different ways. I liked the balance of confidence sitting around that table, nicely mixed with "We really don't know 100% what we're doing but we're doing it anyway." Nice to look around at the other people who jumped off this cliff with you, take your eyes off the ground rushing up at you, and realize that you're all in this together.

I'm nearing the end of this easy-to-write section and can already feel some tension about the next section, a flashback taking Our Hero all the way back to his boarding-school experience in his teens. Maybe I'll have him learn how to cast spells in a giant castle with constantly shifting staircases. For some reason that sounds familiar, but I'm going with it.

I feel like I have more valuable things to write about tonight in this blog, but I continue to fall asleep here, so actual thought will have to wait until another evening.

Hey. By Monday, I should be well over 30,000 words!

No comments: