11 May 2004

Mr. Pronunciation Wanker Goes to Washington.

Less than three hours into the senate hearings on the abuses at Abu Ghraib, and I can bring you this completely trivial note: I have already heard nine ways to pronounce the prison's name:
  1. aboo greb
  2. aboo gah-reb
  3. aboo gobb
  4. aboo gah-rabe
  5. aboo gah-reeb
  6. aboo gabe
  7. aboo grabe
  8. aboo grob

    And my personal favorite:

  9. aboo gobby
For the record, the correct way to pronounce it (as best as I can surmise) is version number one above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[Comment transferred from old blog]

Wait, back up, did I miss the memo about settling the Iraq question? Is it W's rurl-sounding Eye-rack? Eh-rock?

I have no informed opinion on the real question at hand, mostly because I am too busy trying to imagine how it would be pronounced in the "obben globby" sounding language spoken by a group of girls at my middle school, adding extra inter-syllabic syllables as a sort of primitive verbal encryption device.

Marck Bailey said...

[Comment transferred from old blog]


A college girlfriend who lived in the Aramco oil company neighborhood of Dharan taught me that the correct pronunciation of "Iran" is "ih-RONN" (with a short "i" sound). So I've always assumed that Iraq is "ih-ROCK." And I snobbily roll my eyes at any other pronunciation in this nookyular age. Just axe my wife.

And while I don't know "obben globby," I do remember "ubby dubby" from Zoom, and I just have to take a stab at the prison name in that language:

Ubbabubbu Ghrubbaib.

Niiiiiiiiiiice.