05 February 2004

Maybe all is right with the world after all.

Some things that make me feel good about the world on this particular day ....

A small, sweet, non-formulaic film received official kudos from Hollywood.
As much as I loved the film (It may have been my favorite film of last year -- but then, I'm a parent and I don't get to see all that many movies!), Lost In Translation not only got some nice Oscar nominations, it actually won a few Golden Globe awards, which probably help its chances to win some "golden naked men with swords."

And even TV got in on the "little-guy" act.
Ricky Gervais' brilliant The Office also got some just desserts. The show is painful to watch sometimes, but in all the best satirical ways. I know I'm in the minority here, but while this show completely works for me, Curb Your Enthusiasm just bores me to tears. (Funny, usually the British show turns me off.) But then, I was never a die-hard Seinfeld fan; I liked the show alright, but my TiVo has never had a season pass for it.

The Bush administration is squirming.
The whole WMD/intelligence/pick-and-choose-to-justify-the-war semi-scandal has really been fun. It feels in some ways like movies where the little guy fighting the vast corporation to prove something he believes to be true finally can rest and catch his breath as all is revealed. Do you know what I mean? And suddenly in the last week, Bush has had to reverse himself on the need for an independent investigation, and in a slightly related reversal, today announced all of a sudden that he supports an extra 60 days for the 9/11 commission to produce its report. And I also just heard that the President's approval ratings dropped below 50% for the first time. (Or was that just "the first time in quite awhile?" I'm not certain.) It's gonna be an interesting summer.

And oh my god ...
I think we just bought a house. The contract isn't signed yet, but both parties have agreed to the terms. More on this soon, I'm sure. Yeah. Feeling pretty good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[Comment transferred from old blog]

Congrats on the house! Are you leaving Evanston? You're not abandoning it for a (gasp) suburb? Okay, I know we're a suburb but it doesn't seem like it at all.

Marck Bailey said...

[Comment transferred from old blog]

Thanks for the congratulations, and don't worry, I'm not abandoning dear Evanston. We're moving further south, to Dobson St. We love our non-suburban suburb as well.