11 January 2004

Life with Piper I

One morning, I emerged from our bedroom after my shower and as Laura was just getting in hers. I passed by Piper's cracked door and saw her sitting up in her crib. I stuck my head in.

"Good morning, sweetie."

"Mommy?" Her usual first utterance.

"Mommy's in the shower."

I made the sign for bath, even as I prepared myself for soft weeping, because she wants to nurse. But not this morning. Today, she just looked at me and said: "Nice day a-day."

Nice day today
. This is a phrase that Laura's brother spoke when he was Piper's age (or younger), and we occasionally say it to her when she wakes up. Apparently she has been paying attention.

"Yes, sweet thing, it is a nice day today," I tell her as she throws her arms around me, settles her head on my shoulder, and we walk into the bright morning sunlight of our living room.

***

Laura was reading the third of Piper's five bedtime books -- this one called simply Yummy, Yucky. Laura is reading it, but allowing Piper to pass judgement on the items.

Laura: "Sandwiches are ..."

Piper: "Yummy."

Laura: "Sand is ..."

Piper: "Yucky."

Laura: "Soup is ..."

Piper: "Yummy."

Laura: Soap is ..."

Piper: "Yucky."

And so on. But we discovered how close Piper has been paying attention when she got to:

Laura: "Daddy's cookies are ..."

Piper: "Yummy."

Laura: "Mommy's coffee is ..."

Piper thought about it an extra-long moment, and then said: "Hot."

***

Tell me this child isn't devious: Her most recent trick is to say a word, but not too clearly. Then you repeat the word as if it is a question, and she responds. So the game works like this:

"Atch emmo."

"What was that, honey?"

"Atch emmo."

"You want to watch Elmo?"

"Ooooooooooo kayyyyyyyy."

She says that last part like you just talked her into it. But you weren't talking her into anything -- you were just trying to clarify what she was saying. By responding "Okay," she has now made your clarification sound like a promise. And what are you gonna do now -- break your damn promise?

I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with her. And she's not even two yet.

***

Laura asks, "Piper, would you like a brother or sister?"

Without looking up, Piper says, "Yep."

Laura clarifies: "Which do you want: A brother or a sister?"

Piper looks up and says: "A doggie sister."

No comments: